1. Clinical Studies:
1.1 Stem Cell Educator therapy in type 1 diabetes
1.2 Stem Cell Educator therapy in type 2 diabetes
1.3 Stem Cell Educator therapy in Alopecia Areata
- Yanjia Li, Baoyong Yan, Hepeng Wang, Heng Li, Quanhai Li, Dong Zhao, Yana Chen, Ye Zhang, Wenxia Li, Jun Zhang, Shanfeng Wang, Jie Shen, Yunxiang Li, Edward Guindi, Yong Zhao. Hair Regrowth in Alopecia Areata Patients Following Stem Cell Educator Therapy. BMC Medicine. 2015 April 20; 13: 87.
1.4 Invited Review articles:
2. Pre-clinical Studies in Humans:
2.1 Identification of human cord blood-derived multipotent stem cells (CB-SCs)
2.2 First demonstrate that CB-SCs display immune modulation.
2.3 Differentiation of CB-SCs into dopamine neurons.
2.4 Identification of peripheral blood-derived insulin-producing cells (PB-IPC).
3. Pre-clinical Studies in Mice:
3.1 Demonstrate the reversal of type 1 diabetes by the immune modulation of CB-SCs in mice.
- Yong Zhao*, Brian Lin, Robert Darflinger, Yongkang Zhang, Mark Holterman, Randal A. Skidgel. Human cord blood stem cell-modulated regulatory T lymphocytes reverse the autoimmune-caused type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic (NOD) mice.Plos ONE. 4 (1): e4226, 2009.
- Yong Zhao*, Brian Lin, Michael Dingeldein, Chengshan Guo, David Hwang, Mark J. Holterman. The new type of human blood stem cell: a double-edged sword for the treatment of type 1 diabetes. Translational Research (Previous name: The Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine). 155: 211-16, 2010.
3.2 Establishment of humanized immune-caused type 1 diabetic mouse model.
- Yong Zhao*, Chengshan Guo, David Hwang, Brian Lin, Michael Dingeldein, Dan Mihailescu, Susan Sam, Seema Sidhwani, Yongkang Zhang, Sumit Jain, Randal A. Skidgel, Bellur S. Prabhakar, Theodore Mazzone, Mark J. Holterman. Selective Destruction of Mouse Islet Beta Cells by Human T Lymphocytes in a Newly-Established Humanized Type 1 Diabetic Model.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 399: 629-636, 2010.